Basil is one of the most widespread plants in Greece. That is the reason why we can find it everywhere, in pots and gardens. It has a unique scent and flavor. It is an annual plant with 0.40 - 0.70 m. height. It has large, pale green leaves and thrives from spring until autumn.
- It is used mainly as a spice in cooking in many dishes because of its intense aroma and distinct flavor (the leaves can be kept dry in glass jars, in order to keep for a long time their flavor). Ideal in salads and tomato sauces (pesto).
- It is preferred for the production of some drinks and in canned tomato sauces.
- Furthermore, essential oil is extracted from basil which is used both for the production of medicines and perfumes with the characteristic fragrance of the plant.
- Its consumption soothes the pains in stomach associated with difficulty in digesting food.
- It stimulates the body.
- It is considered that it relaxes the body and calms the nerves.
- It soothes from nervous headaches.
- Not to mention that, basil enhances memory and makes people more efficient.